Go Back to website

Saturday 28 September 2013

How to Extract Multiple Artboards into Single Files

After a summer of blogging and searching for my first job, I finally secured one in August! Hoorah! What's more, is that it actually involves multimedia and design which I could not be happier about. Unfortunately, at the end of July, I started experiencing some technical difficulties with my Blog. I was saving drafts of posts and then was unable to access them again. It was very frustrating and after many visits to Blogger's community help page, I received no answers to my problem.

After a month at my first job, I've encountered multiple instances where I've reached out to Google for help. I've actually found myself Googling the same thing twice in some circumstances just like the issue below. So; it made sense to document the solutions to my problems and hopefully assist others while doing so. This is what the following posts will deal with: everyday solutions I've discovered as a result of my work as a designer.
Blogger appears to have redeemed it's technical problems for the foreseeable future, so let's see how we go!

Post: How to Extract Multiple Artboards into Single Files

Recently in work, I was asked to redesign some application forms. I had never designed something like this before and reverted to Google for help. I found this page on application form design which influenced the final version.

Tips on Designing Application Forms for Print

http://www.nd.gov/itd/service-info/form-design-principles

This page suggests using boxes with the captions in the upper left hand side. Below are two extracts from this page.

       Box Format with Upper Left Captions

Reasons the Box Design with Upper Left Captions is Best

  1. The captions become secondary after the data is entered.
  2. The captions do not consume valuable paper space that is needed for entering information.
  3. The captions are not hidden while the form is being completed.
  4. It is easier to provide the necessary amount of space for each of the form’s data entry areas.
  5. It allows a smaller, more compact, and efficient form.
  6. Retrieval of data will be easier and more efficient because data entered is easier to locate for use.
  7. The form will have better visual appearance.

I designed my forms with the captions outside of the boxes to allow for bigger text and better readability. 

Once I had finalised my design, I had to decide which program to create them in. I settled for a combination of Word and Illustrator. However, beware! Editing text after it has been copied from Word into Illustrator results in some issues!

All four forms were in 4 artboards in Illustrator for aligning purposes and I then exported them as a PDF. However, they needed to be uploaded to our website individually. Here is the solution I found:

This version of Acrobat is Acrobat X.

1. Open your PDF in Acrobat X
2. Go to View, Tools, Pages
3. Click the Pages window options and click- Extract Pages...

Pages window options

4. Select the pages you want to extract as single files and tick Extract Pages As Separate Files, the hit OK. 

Extract Pages As Separate Files

5. Navigate to the folder you wish to save your separated files in. 

And voilĂ ! 

This is the page which helped me solve this problem: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/339253

Have you designed application forms? What's been your experience? Let me know in the comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment